Thursday 3 May 2012

To run or not to run? That is my question.


Should I run the Edinburgh marathon, just three weeks away on Sunday? I cannot make this decision on my own.

For:
  • It would be my 5th marathon in three years (which is awesome).
  • Loads of my friends and colleagues are running one of the events over the weekend.
  • It’s local.
  • I’ve paid for it.
  • It’s a downhill/flat course and hence not too challenging.
  • I will feel massively left out on the day if I only spectate.
  • I could just jog round and enjoy it.
Against:
  • I am severely under-trained. I haven’t run more than a half marathon since October.
  • I am carrying two injuries; in my left ankle and in my abdomen/groin.
  • I am definitely not going to get a PB, in fact I am very likely to get a PW. Possibly by a long way.
  • If I do start and things get really bad, I might DNF. The shame, the shame...
  • If I pig-headedly struggle through it I could exacerbate my injuries and make things worse in future.
  • I could just jog round and hate it.

So I leave it up to you lot. I shall make my decision based entirely on the tone of responses written in the comments box. Over to you. Don't let me down.

Happy running

Dave





2012 to date: miles run - 150.94, miles biked: 46.2, metres swum: 750

7 comments:

  1. Very difficult question indeed. My inclination is that you should do it, but make it about something other than the time. Find a slower friend and pace make for them, or just try to run every mile the same speed, or intervals, or something. Anything to create a 'different' challenge from running the whole caboodle as quickly as you can. You love running, and I can't see you not enjoying it some way. But BE CAREFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the result of playing cricket through an injury (a pain in my left hip) I am now off for (yet more) MRI scans, I would advise against running a marathon at the best of times let alone when injured!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,
    Sounds like you have a 'sportsmans hernia'. I say run if it feels ok and you feel ok, but if its just going to end up causing you more pain then what have you gained from it? You've already achieved great things so if you feel like passing on this one, I don't think anyone would question your decision. If however you decide to do it (I personally would err on the side of caution) the I'm doing the half! Wave as you fly by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask yourself: What would Jedward do? Then do the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Defer your entry until next year. No shame in that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do it! - with a chest infection, and knowing I had little or no chance of completing, I travelled to Yorkshire and started the Three Peaks Race. For me, the old cliche of 'taking part..' is true..

    (I got three miles, spewed up, and spent the rest of the day recovering in the pub)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd echo what Marc wrote and say that if you can find another reason to run, it might be one of your favourite races. While I was flogging myself to a 2 minute PB in the London this year, my wife was studiously ignoring her PB and jogging round, enjoying the day and treating the London as a training run (with a medal at the end) for the ultras she is doing in 2012. She loved seeing a different side of the race.

    ReplyDelete