Saturday 4 December 2010

Snippets

No time for a lengthy, thought-out post with purpose and things, so here's a speedy update on my life in running shoes.

As reported in Let it Snow!, Edinburgh (and much of the UK) is a playground at the moment, and really just too much fun to miss out on. Since posting that entry on Tuesday I've been for two more snowbound runs - one short one in the middle of a snow shower, and I'm just back from an 8-miler through the city and Holyrood Park, including nearly 800 feet of climbing. Most of that was trudging up an icy slope on Arthur's Seat, dodging skiiers and seldgers coming down much faster in the opposite direction. Oh, and I ran in shorts. Win.

Why so much climbing? Well on Thursday night I registered for The San Francisco Marathon. This will be my third 26.2, unless I sneak in another one in April, and is world-renowned for being a challenging, hilly course, with over 1200 feet of climbing spread over its incredible route, which takes in the waterfront, the Golden Gate bridge, beautiful parkland and the city's incredible Victorian architecture. I absolutely cannot wait. You can bet my training will include an awful lot more climbing in the run up to 31 July 2011.

I was a bit panicked about getting into this race. Registration has been delayed in opening several times, and as we've already booked an eye-wateringly expensive 12,000 mile round trip for me to run this race (and to enjoy another fortnight's holiday...), it would have been an utter nightmare to have missed out on a place. But when it did open, I was almost first in the queue. Happy Dave.

Finally, I'm supposed to be racing in the Edinburgh Christmas Run tomorrow. (I say 'supposed' because the snow and ice looks murderous...) A 5k fun run in Inverleith Park, I've even bought a cheap and cheerful Father Christmas outfit to run in. My original plan was to be the first Father Christmas home, and to set a new PB in the process, which would have been easy because until recently I'd only ever run one 5k - Run with Rory 2007, which took me over 26 minutes. Success was a given. Unfortunately I was accidentally quite fast during Parkrun, and so I've got to beat 20:43. In a Father Christmas suit. On ice.



I'll let you know how I get on...

Jog on!

Dave

P.S. Hello Australia and Russia!

No comments:

Post a Comment